Friday, February 26, 2010

Fossils

This fossil class didn't include dinosaurs. I talked about fossils in North Carolina and prehistoric mammals. I have a great book with drawings of prehistoric mammals. I had a great book with pictures of Wooly Mammoths, Giant Sloths, Sabertooths, and more. I used Play Doug and small animal figures to show how the mold and cast type fossils are made. The children took turns pushing the animals into the "mud" to see what imprint or mold they would make. I used playfoam to demonstate replacement fossils. I made a bone shape and explained how water would wash away bit by bit leaving minerals behind. This is why their are many different colors of fossils. I showed the chidren my collection of petrified would that is many colored. The kids then identified some of my fossil collection and told me if they were mold or replacement. We then talked about the wierd fossils like the frozen wooly mammoths found around the Artic Circle. I had frozen some small wooly mammoths in ice cubes and let each child try to free them with there warm hands and craft sticks.

I purchased a shark's tooth for each child and helped them make them into a necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment